Getting cataract surgery is safe, quick, and life-changing. From pre-surgery testing to the day of your procedure, our staff will be there to guide you along the way.
At Cataract MD we offer a free, no-obligation comprehensive eye examination to ensure you are a candidate for cataract surgery. This appointment is the first visit in your vision correction process.
Here’s what you can expect on the day:
- Arrive at the clinic, set up in the patient lounge, and grab a cup of coffee and a cookie;
- Undergo safe and painless diagnostic testing to determine your candidacy;
- Meet with our friendly eye care professionals, and ask them any questions you may have.
Please be advised that your pre-surgery assessment will take, on average, two hours to complete. We may need to dilate your pupils. If so, your eyes will be sensitive to light. Please bring a pair of sunglasses with you to the appointment. We recommend that you do not drive long distances after the appointment.
The results of your pre-surgical testing will be shared with your surgeon in order to confirm your eligibility. Upon the receipt of the surgeon’s confirmation, a coordinator will contact you to provide additional information and schedule your cataract surgery.
Here’s what’s in store for you on the day of your procedure:
- Once you get to the clinic, we will verify the results of your pre-surgery testing to ensure their accuracy;
- You’ll meet with your surgical counsellor who will provide you with all the post-surgery information you’ll need. You’ll be able to ask them any questions you may have ahead of your procedure;
- Meet with your surgeon;
- You will undergo your procedure, which will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Please expect to be in the clinic for three to four hours on the day of your cataract surgery. In consideration of others and to ensure that your visit is as comfortable as possible, we ask that you do not bring children with you.
Undergoing cataract surgery
The steps of cataract surgery are straightforward:
After your cataract surgery, you will be escorted to a waiting area where you will relax for about 45 minutes to one hour to confirm optimal results. To allow adequate time for your eyes to recover, we recommend that you rest for a full day or two before returning to your normal routine.
Following your cataract surgery, you will be required to attend the following post-surgical examinations:
- 24 hours
- Two weeks
- One month
- One year
- Any additional post-operative visits that we determine to be necessary
Please remember that your follow-up care is as important as the actual procedure itself.
Find out if you’re a candidate!